When it comes to network security, it is easy for small to medium sized businesses to say “not me”, “they are only after the big guys.” The reality is that attacks on all networks have been increasing year after year as hackers have become more sophisticated, and small businesses are being affected every day by relaxed or non-existent security policies.
A 2013 study showed that 1 in every 5 small businesses networks would be compromised. With the ever-increasing technological advances, it is likely that since then, these numbers have climbed, posing a significant risk for a potential breach, lost or stolen data, or some type of malicious threat.
There are a number of ways Computer Troubleshooters in Pittsburgh helps to ensure that you are at minimum risk:
- Updates - Keeping computers and network equipment updated is one of the most effective steps to preventing a possible network security issue.
- Firewall - A common mistake in small to medium business networks is the lack of a business grade firewall solution. Often business owners are unaware of the difference between having a network router and having a network firewall in place.
- Passwords - Password and password protection are proving to be an area that needs attention when discussing network security. Using sophisticated software and tools, hackers are easily gaining access to small business networks through simple or default passwords
- Antivirus/Antispam - Most people know that antivirus and antispam software are necessary components of network security, but many people don’t realize why its so important until their computer or network is infected with a virus, malware, spyware, or a host of other potentially dangerous issues.
- Backup - Making sure that you have a current backup that can be easily accessed is an important component of making sure you network is secure. Cybercriminals who might hold your data ransom don't have any leverage if you have all of your data securely backed up.
- Training - An educated computer user is probably the best defense against malware and cybercriminals. That is why we offer our managed service clients free online security training as a bonus. Someone who knows what to look for is much less likely to click on a link that will take down your system.
No matter the size of your business, network security is a definite requirement for every business in the digital age. If you are worried or unsure of where to start with an internal security audit, our team can help get you on track.